South Carolina, Air Conditioning License

HVAC Training South Carolina

HVAC Training South Carolina

HVAC Training in South Carolina

Federal law requires EPA 608 Certification


South Carolina Journeyman and Master HVAC Air Conditioning Technician

Some cities may require a Journeyman or Masters license obtained from MASC

How to obtain a Journeyman or Masters license:

  1. Journeyman must show proof of 2 years experience or 1 year experience and 2 years trade school.  Masters must document 4 years experience.
  2. Apply to MASC for an application package. $25.00 fee. You will receive a list of study materials with the package.  Municipal Association of SC, 1411 Gervais Street, PO Box, 12109 1260 Energy Lane, Columbia, SC 29211,  Email:,
  3.  You will receive instruction to contact Prometric to take the exam and pay a $90.00 exam fee.

South Carolina Air Conditioning Contractors License

South Carolina offers the following Air Conditioning License

  • Residential Heating and Air Conditioning License
  • Mechanical Air Conditioning License

Steps to obtain a license, Residential:

  1. Contact and obtain a license application: South Carolina Residential Builders Commission, Residential Heating & Air Conditioning License, South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, PO Box 11329, Columbia, S.C. 29211, Phone (803) 896-4696,  or call  803-896-4501 and request that an application form be mailed to you.  Complete the application and one year work experience form and mail with the $100.00 application fee.
  2. When you receive your Examination Eligibility letter,schedule your HVAC Exam and the Residential Business Management and Law Exam with PSI.  PSI Examination Services, (800) 733-9267, Fax: (818) 247-3853,
  3. Take the exams.  Exam fee is $100.00.  You must pass the exams within one year of receiving approval.
  4. Submit your passing letter, a $10,000 bond and first year fee of $100.00 to the state.

Steps to obtain a Mechanical Air Conditioning License:

  1. Contact  (PSI) at (800) 733-9267 and request: “The South Carolina Contractors Application Package”.
  2. Complete the “candidate information bulletin”, “Contractors application doc #165” and SC Code of Laws Take Home Exam, doc. 170.”
  3. Submit your documents and $175 fee to PSI and schedule your exams,  Business and Trade
  4. Submit your passing documents from PSI to the state with your proof of 2 years of experience.

One single comment

  1. Angel Mercado says:

    I want to now if a have to take the state text from sc ..I already have license from Puerto rico…live in sc now

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *