Iowa HVAC License

HVAC Training in Iowa

Federal law requires anyone handling refrigerants to hold an EPA Certification.

Iowa requires the following HVAC trade license:

• HVAC Apprentice
• HVAC Journeyperson
• HVAC Master

How to obtain a license:
1. Apprentice must be 18 years old, pass a criminal background check, and have a high school diploma or GED, attending approved apprentice program and work under the supervision of a journeyperson.  Apprentice – $50.00  Application:
2. Journeyman must meet the above, have 4 years experience and pass the Journeyperson exam.  Journeyman and Master application:
3. Master must meet the above and pass the Master exam.
4. Iowa Plumbing and Mechanical Systems Board at 515-281-7689
5. Obtain study materials and take an exam prep course if possible, 2009 International Mechanical Code, Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, OSHA Part 1926, NFPA 54 National Fuel Gas Code 2009, NFPA 58 Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code 2008, Manual N – used on the master exam only
6. Schedule your exams, contact Prometric at 800-347-9242
7. Exams are open book, Master 200 questions six hours, Journeyperson 100 questions 3 hours

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *