California HVAC Contractors License, HVAC Training

HVAC Training California

HVAC Training California

HVAC Training in California

Federal law requires EPA 608 Certification


California does not require HVAC technicians to register or be licensed.

California offers a license for the following:

  • Warm-Air Heating, Ventilating,  and Air-Conditioning C-20
  • Boiler, Hot-Water Heating, and Steam Fitting C-4
  • Refrigeration    C-38
  • Sheet Metal C-43
  • Solar C-46
  • Home Improvement Salesperson

Steps to obtain a license:

  1. Licensed contractors must demonstrate at least 4 years of experience/education in the trade for which they are licensed, be fingerprinted, have an FBI background check, and be bonded.  You must have $2500 in working capital.
  2. Complete Application forms and get authorization to take the exams: CONTRACTORS STATE LICENSE BOARD STATE OF CALIFORNIA    CONTRACTORS STATE LICENSE BOARD STATE OF CALIFORNIA 9821 Business Park Drive, Sacramento, CA 95827  Address: P.O. Box 26000, Sacramento, CA 95826
  3. Pay the application fee $300, License fee $180, and any additional classification fee $75.
  4. Obtain the study materials and take a study course if possible.  You must pass a business / law exam and a trade exam for each license.
    The exam is 100 questions and 72% correct is required to pass.  The exam is 2.5 hours.
  • Study materials:
  • California Mechanical Code, 2001
  • California Plumbing Code, 2001
  • California Electrical Code, 2004
  • OSHA Construction Safety
  • Heating and Cooling
  • Metal and Flexible, HVAC Duct Construction
  • Manual CS
  • Manual D
  • Manual H
  • Manual J
  • Manual P
  • Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
  • Recovery Manual
  • EPA Section 608 Study Guide


  1. Michael Glover says:

    Normally only one license per company is needed and you don’t need a license to manage people or a department. Check with the state to make sure.

  2. David Pendleton says:

    Does a manager of HVAC technicians need to possess a California license? If so, is there any kind of waiver that can be obtained while acquiring the 4 years of experience?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *